Blog #33



Spoonflower is always looking to push us artists to our creative limits. The most challenging contests to me are the restricted palette contests. This one takes the cake though:

Palette-Limited Butterfly Contest. Design must use butterflies as a motif and use the palette pictured here. No blended colors, please. No gradients. You can choose to use some, rather than all, of the colors in the palette. Deadline is Tuesday, July 5th, 2011. [hex codes: orange: f28102 pink: d96fc3 light green: 7b9432 white: f5f8f8 (or ffffff) dark green: 003a00 blue: 1a87c8 ] No black on this one, please. No transparencies, either.

Look at these colors!! And don't even get me started on no black. I was just about to throw in the towel on these colors, but I decided to give it a try anyway. So here's what I came up with:
I am totally going to throw out that green outline as soon as the contest is over, but other than that I love it. It makes me think of a blanket that my grandmother made for me way back when. It had elephants in duck shaped floats and islands, but it's got that same feel. I think it's the white background and the floating multi-directional-ness, and my grass sort of makes me think of the squiggled black lines of the waves.


This is the blanket I was talking about :D
Update: I now have a better color version!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contest Entry: Chocolate Gravy & Biscuits Tea Towel

Contest Entry: Otter Lace

Embroidered Drawstring Pouch