Thursday, March 19, 2015

Project Photos: Modified Butterick 4827 dress

This is my outfit for the ren faire. I started out with the Butterick 4827 pattern, but I got rid of the princess seams and back lacing and replaced them with side lacing. Otherwise I went by the pattern on both the dress and the underskirt. The dress is made from a navy satin and the underskirt is a lovely brocade.

The finished dress with the underskirt hanging up behind.

It has always been one of those things that I wanted to try making, but it was a bit more difficult than I expected. First off, I couldn't find any tutorials on how to put together a side lacing dress. This meant that I was pretty much on my own design wise. What I've come up with does leave an opening in the arm scythe above the lacing, and a bit of my white chemise will show through. The fit through the shoulders gets a bit weird, but I'm not sure if that has more to do with my alterations or the original pattern since I really only altered the seam lines on the side of the dress.

Dress before trim.

Then I had this brilliant idea that instead of fiddling around with grommets, I was going to hand sew the eyelets. (For some reason, it didn't occur to me that I had just added twice as many eyelets.) It took forever since I was dealing with fifty eyelets altogether. There were forty-six on handmade eyelet tapes, and a further four on the dress itself.

It's spiral laced, but it's hard to tell until it's on and fully cinched.

Once everything else was done I got to adding some trim around the cuffs and neckline, and that was a bit of a battle because it wouldn't sit right. After looking online I found out that I should've added in some pleats to make it curve with the neckline.


Here's the front of the neckline.

And a view of the back.

Woven jacquard trim!!
After doing all those modifications, it was nice to just follow the directions for the skirt. I did substitute the back panels with a plain black fabric just because I couldn't justify spending that much money for an extra yard of fabric that no one would ever see.

View of the front, There is a lot of fabric on this skirt, and it's hard to get it all in view!

Here's another front view.

And here's the back.

Anyhow, I have finally gotten everything put together and laced in place. It's gorgeous when I'm wearing it, but it looks like a bag on the hangar. Maybe after the faire I'll have some shots of me wearing it to share.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Project Photos: Fancy One Strap Backpack

Okay, so it's been awhile since I have posted any real projects, but I've been busy crafting for my ren faire outfit. This is my first time going to one of these events so I pretty much started from scratch. Everything has been rolling along and falling into place, and now I'm finally ready to start posting some pictures. I'll start with my bag:

This backpack is made from the fabric I had after making the dress. It wasn't really part of the plan, but the thought of this fabric languishing in a drawer unused was too much. I started hunting around for smallish projects that I could make and I stumbled across this pin on Pinterest. It brought me to this tutorial. The fact that I was working with scraps meant that I had to dig into my stash and tweak the pattern to really make a project this size work. It feels good to create something like this without buying a single thing!

The red brocade came from the underskirt. This one is my favorite fabric, but it was really expensive so I only had enough left over to make the front and a single strap. At first I was sad I didn't have enough for two, but I was playing around with the long thin scrap I had trying to find the best strap length and noticed the sash effect when I draped it like this. Now I can't imagine this bag any other way.

The front pocket and flap.

My super fancy strap had to have an extra piece attached to get the right length.

Here's the back, and you can see the tiny side pockets that I added.
The main body of the bag is made from the navy satin from my overdress. I had plenty of this one since I bought about a yard more than I needed of this for the dress. The bottom of the bag is quilted in a 2" grid with a thin interfacing and some plain cotton fabric. Satin just seemed too thin by itself. The outer sides also have the sewn in interfacing.

I added a drawstring in place of the elastic band she suggests in the tutorial, and that casing is also made from the satin. The string is the same I used to lace up my dress, and I had the wooden toggle sitting around in my stash.

Here is the main flap open.

Here is the drawstring open, and you can see the wooden button for holding down the top flap.

Inside, I made the pocket a bit larger.

The inner layers of the bag are made out of scraps of a white on white damask fabric and a plain white cotton. The sides and bottom, being of the thinner white, were two thicknesses quilted together with the same 2" grid pattern. You can't tell in the photos, but it was with a white thread so it blends in well.

Tomorrow, I'll put up the photos of the dress that matches this bag. Well, it matches the outside of it anyway.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Contest Entry: Raccoons with Spoons

   This week's challenge is celebrating our favorite utensil in the drawer, spoons! Create a spoon-themed design to be previewed at the fat quarter size (21" x 18"). Deadline for entry is Tuesday, March 10th. Voting will open on Thursday, March 12th.

Raccoons with Spoons

Raccoons with Spoons

Raccoons with Spoons

Raccoons with Spoons

Raccoons with Spoons