Posts

Showing posts from July, 2015

Project Photos: Quilted Pillowcase

Image
This quilted pillowcase was a rather unusual labor of love. You see, we tend to keep our bird feeder stocked with birdseed, and someone innocently set the sack on the desk while we were bringing in the groceries one night. Obviously refilling the feeder in the middle of the night wasn't on the to-do list. So it remained on the desk until the next day. Our cat Richard discovered that it's pretty much a tiny bean bag chair, and lazed around on it all day. And then the next day, and the day after that, and it was quickly becoming a joke that we should just buy another bag for the birds. Here are a few pictures of his adorable self:


After a week or two it eventually became clear that the bird food was here to stay. So to keep it looking a little less like an eyesore in the middle of the living room, I took it upon myself to make a zippered cover for it. My swatch collection needed some paring down, and there were just enough from my Lama Fancy collection to make the patchwork pil…

Project Photos: Calavera Rice Sock

Image
This is a quick project, and my all time favorite rice sock. I just took two swatches and put them together right sides facing. I sewed a little ways outside the outline of the skull of my main fabric leaving a hole for turning. Then just flip right side out, fill with rice, and sew it closed. It takes about 5 minutes to make a rice sock like this! 
The fabrics I used here are Golden Skulls in the Jungle and Holes in the Wall.





Project Photos: Quilted Wine Tote

Image
This wine tote was a gift for a friend's birthday, and since her party was last weekend, I can share without ruining the surprise ;) It has a plain silvery satin interior, and uses my Arrows & Flowers Purple satin fabric for the exterior. The quilting is simple lines from top to bottom both inside and out which has the effect of hiding the side seams and making it look almost entirely seamless. The basic pattern and size were taken from this tutorial. I just modified it to have different handles. If I ever make it again, I will add some width because I like a little more seam allowance, especially on fabrics that are as ravel prone as these.




Project Photos: Gabriola Skirt

Image
I made this using Sewaholic's Gabriola skirt pattern, and Silver Leaves on Ruby satin fabric. The yoke and waistband accent pieces use my Dark Coordinate Linen, also on satin. Photographs don't really capture how fabulous this looks in person, especially since they were taken with some haste. (We were leaving to help my grandmother pick out a new kitten, and my cat, Richard, was "helping" me get ready.)