Posts

Showing posts from July, 2016

Waistcoat Project

Image
This is the first in a series of posts about my latest project, a fancy steampunk inspired coat. The pattern is loosely based on a Simplicity pattern, 2172, that I have been slowly altering as I go along. Here are a few sketches to show the basic idea for the coat.



The plan at first was to do the pattern with a few small touches thrown in to make it my own. Adding a removable hood and changing the neckline slightly were quickly followed with making detachable sleeves, and adding a high collar in the back. The pockets became more subtle without the giant flaps.

The sleeve flanges disappeared, and after making a muslin to adjust the fit, (for which I have many photos that will be unloaded in the next post) the entire bottom half was literally cut off the coat.

The voluminous pleats that replaced the simple skirt were drafted and redrafted, and currently the muslin for that will serve as my new pattern. Making a new pattern piece as I have been doing for every other section would take a…

Project Photos: DIY Cat Bed Tutorial

Image
Today I'm going to show you how to sew a fabulous, reversible cat bed with 2 fat quarters and some fluffy poly-fil. You can really use any kind of stuffing that you like, this was just the biggest bag of fluff that my Walmart carries. (it doesn't take anywhere near that amount of filling, I plan on using it for many more projects)
I used one fat quarter of Spoonflower's fleece and cut a rectangle of white faux fur from Joanne's to match.



On the fleece, mark on all four corners a 4 inch x 4 inch square. I used a water soluble marker.

Pin the corner so the edges of the square line up with right sides together,  and sew a seam along or just inside that line. Repeat for all four corners.  I went over it twice with the zigzag setting of my sewing machine.

Then trim down the seam allowance and get rid of any marks that might bleed through to the other side.

You should end up with a floppy shallow box shape. Set it aside, and repeat all the steps on the fur.

Here I used a pe…