Design-A-Day SpoonChallenge: Day 11

Design-A-Day SpoonChallenge: Day 11 - Dyed
Today's #SFDesignADay Challenge features the unique hand dyed techniques used by Pam Layton York of The Playful Crow. Giving us a closer look at her step-by-step process, she shows us how she takes her fabric from dyed to digital. Read on for detailed photos of the entire process and try your hand at the hand-dyed technique at home!
Dyed, Design, #SFDesignADay, SpoonChallenge, Spoonflower, Pam Layton
Pam: "Shibori" is an ancient Japanese tie-dying technique. Patterns were created by folding, compressing, binding and stitching fabric in various ways prior to dying to create different patterns. Unlike modern multi-colored tie-dyed items, the Shibori technique used only one color. Indigo was the most popular.
I started with some of the traditional methods of stitching and folding and then added a few of my own to create the designs.
Dyed, Design, #SFDesignADay, SpoonChallenge, Spoonflower, Pam Layton
Working with indigo dye was amazing. The fabrics were bright green when they first came out of the dye and then oxidized to a beautiful deep blue. After I took the bindings off of the fabrics, I rinsed, dried and ironed them prior to scanning. Working in Photoshop, I created a standard square repeat of each design and copyrighted them prior to uploading to Spoonflower.
 
Spoonflower makes it easy to upload designs to make them available for your projects or to be purchased by others. I encourage purchasers of my designs to share photos of their finished projects!
Dyed, Design, #SFDesignADay, SpoonChallenge, Spoonflower, Pam Layton
Now that you've learned more about Pam's technique, try it out yourself! Only have 15 minutes to spare? Try using a marker and a damp paper towel for a faux dyed affect! When you're done, share your design on any social media platform you like (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) and tag it with #SFDesignADay. We can't wait to see what you create! 

Today's dyeing theme was a little intimidating. There isn't really any indigo dye laying around my house. But I had heard of tea dyeing and was willing to give it a whirl. I started out with two small scraps of fabric, one was a simple white cotton, and the other was a patch of Spoonflower's satin. That had, at one time, been attached to a swatch sampler and was too big to throw out. I figured one of them at least should give me an interesting pattern to work with. So I made little tie dye type bundles and set them to steep in a pot with about 17 tea bags. After a couple of hours the satin mostly came out all the same beige color, but thankfully the cotton gave me a faint pattern that could be turned into a neat looking bird repeat.

cotton scrap before dyeing

Emma "helping" me take progress photos

cotton bundle stitched together

I tied it off with a rubber band as well before it went into the pot

this is my second bundle that just turned out one color

you can see the difference between the plain cotton and the satin

dried and ironed

opposite side

Tea Dyed Sparrows

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Photos: Undercover Maker Mat

Dream Living Room for ARHAUS