I originally found the pattern for the Undercover Maker Mat on Pinterest, and have finally managed to finish sewing my own! It comes from the blog lillyella by Nicole Young and you can see her post and get free pattern HERE. The mat doubles as both a sewing machine cover and a pocket filled organizer to keep all your notions et cetera at hand as you work.
This was a bit of a stash busting project, which required a bit of editing from the pattern. This was almost entirely made up of test swatches which are approximately 8" x 8". The obvious thing to do was try and break each swatch down into blocks of 4" x 4", but since they end up being slightly less than that, I decided to do a bit of fussy cutting to make 2 slightly larger blocks using the unprinted white space to remain attached in the seam allowance.
Here is my rough plan of how to assemble my new pattern. The dimensions changed to 20" x 28" for each side before sewing and seam allowances. It was on…
*Before getting too far into this, let me just go ahead and say that I was asked to create a dream living room post for Arhaus. You can visit their living room section HERE and their Instagram HERE. They aren't compensating me and all of the opinions here are my own.* Most of the images are on THIS Pinterest Board that I used to get my ideas together
So designing a living room is actually quite fun. Since it's a "dream living room" I've decided I'm not looking at prices or worrying about nitpicking a floor plan.
The three major things that I would love is a comfortable couch, a desk to work at, and a huge window seat with built in bookshelves.
So there should be lots of sunlight coming in to fill the room, and high ceilings. I'm imagining on the wall opposite the window a hanging garden set up like this one. The french cleat idea is genius!
For the backdrop for everything, I am thinking a dark blue paint like this for the walls.
This is my outfit for the ren faire. I started out with the Butterick 4827 pattern, but I got rid of the princess seams and back lacing and replaced them with side lacing. Otherwise I went by the pattern on both the dress and the underskirt. The dress is made from a navy satin and the underskirt is a lovely brocade.
It has always been one of those things that I wanted to try making, but it was a bit more difficult than I expected. First off, I couldn't find any tutorials on how to put together a side lacing dress. This meant that I was pretty much on my own design wise. What I've come up with does leave an opening in the arm scythe above the lacing, and a bit of my white chemise will show through. The fit through the shoulders gets a bit weird, but I'm not sure if that has more to do with my alterations or the original pattern since I really only altered the seam lines on the side of the dress.
Then I had this brilliant idea that instead of fiddling around with grommets, …